NC 2-1-1 is an information and referral service provided by the United Way of North Carolina in all 100 NC counties with the support of 53 local United Ways throughout the State.
- NC 2-1-1 has a database of more than 19,000 resources available to meet the needs of callers. The resources include food pantries, homeless shelters, utility and rent assistance funds, health clinics, prescription assistance programs, counseling and substance abuse services, child care resources, senior resources, resources for persons with disabilities, and much more.
- The NC 2-1-1 database is managed by a team of data coordinators with the input of leaders from local United Ways and direct service organizations throughout the State.
- The same resource database used by NC 2-1-1 call center specialists is also available at nc211.org for self-search and access to information.
Providing a Snapshot of Community-Specific Needs
- NC 2-1-1 collects demographic information from callers including gender, language preference, military status, age, disability status, and health insurance status. This information, when viewed in aggregate form, can be helpful in understanding the need trends in a community.
- NC 2-1-1 was one of two states to initially participate in the national 211Counts.org dashboard. 211Counts.org is a near real-time, on-line dashboard of aggregated 2-1-1 data that reflects the needs of callers presented to 2-1-1 centers around the country.
- NC 2-1-1 data can be viewed by zip code, county, region, state legislative district or federal congressional district at 211Counts.org.
In 2016, NC 2-1-1 responded to:
- 129,091 calls reflecting 144,755 needs.
- 103,943 unique web visits to nc211.org were recorded.
Top caller needs in 2016 included:
- Housing and Shelter
- Utility Assistance
- Agency Contact Information
- Mental Health and Addictions
Response to Hurricane Matthew
NC 2-1-1 was officially activated for the first time as part of NC Emergency Management’s State Emergency Response Team (SERT) and as the official number for NC residents to call for assistance during and after disaster.
From October 3, 2016 – December 31, 2016:
- NC 2-1-1 handled 12,067 calls related to the disaster
- 9,417 unique page views were recorded for nc211.org between October 3 and October 31
Top caller needs related to the disaster included:
- Disaster Food Stamps
- Meal Services
- Food Pantries
- Disaster Claims Information
- General Disaster Information
NC 2-1-1 continues to handle an average of 30 calls per week related to Hurricane Matthew, and anticipates continuing to serve those residents impacted by the storm throughout the recovery process.
For more information
Contact our database coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.